Applications Product Design Engineer (Consumer Products) (Santa Clara, CA)
Location: Santa Clara, CA
About Us From a team that has been instrumental in the development of leading 3D printing and advanced manufacturing technologies comes the biggest development yet. At higher strength and lower density than titanium, carbon fiber composites hold the potential to change the world by unlocking novel design architectures that deliver unparalleled performance at lighter weight. Despite this potential, the complexity and cost of designing and manufacturing these materials has limited their use to high-end, niche applications. Arris Composites has solved this problem and some of the top companies in the world have taken notice. New design latitude and improved performance provides competitive advantages for leaders across the industrial and consumer markets. Your view of composites is about to change.
Overview In this highly visible, customer facing and hands-on role, you will support the Head of Consumer Products in customer development for next-gen composites; new product architectures for next generation consumer product applications. Your role requires interfacing with customers to educate and empower them to leverage Arris’ Additive Molding TechnologyTM with the goal of producing one-of-a-kind products that are thinner, lighter, stronger, more integrated and more sustainable that previously thought possible for mass market applications. In your day to day, you will work with cross-functional teams internally to oversee efforts related to Customer Applications, R&D, and Tooling Design, as well as work externally with suppliers and customers on manufacturing problem solving.
- Work with new customers to educate them on Arris’ new Additive Molding TechnologyTM and empower them to leverage this technology early on in their product design cycles
- Understand customer product needs and translate these into measurable internal goals that can be tested and quantified
- Evaluate technical risk of customer designs and work with internal teams to mitigate those risks
- Collaborate with customers to improve their product designs and make them more suitable for Arris Additive Molding
- Work with key customers to understand their market trends and translate their needs into Arris production opportunities
- Support the creation of marketing and education assets that allow customers to fulfill their product design needs with Arris Additive Molding
- be responsible for own project management and the communication of project definition and status to VPs and C-Suite leadership. Identify and resolve potential pitfalls to the schedule and risks to the quality of the development of new composites.
- Work with cross-functional teams (business development, molding tool design, production/operations, quality, etc.) to successfully bring new products from Proof of Concept to Mass Production
- Work with quality engineers and manufacturing engineers to create customer facing inspection reports and develop plans to resolve quality issues.
- Drive project technical and operational issues with respect to material, process, tooling, equipment etc. during the New Product Introduction phase to enable delivery of a mature product and manufacturing process into Mass Production
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Development or Manufacturing of consumer products.
- Experience working with a CRM software (e.g. Hubspot or SalesForce)
- Experience working with Computer Aided Design (i.e. Solidworks) and familiarity with Finite Element Analysis analysis tools
- Strong background in designing parts for injection molding and/or compression molding manufacturing
- Strong project management skills
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- CAD skills including assemblies, simulation, and FEA
- Knowledge and understanding of mechanical design, composites, polymer science, polymer processing, media, etc.
- Strong communication skills across functional disciplines and proven ability to develop and maintain productive networks within the technical community
- A deep understanding of mass production manufacturing technologies
- Experience with process and quality control (e.g. FAI, SPC, Cpk, etc.)
- The capacity to travel domestically and internationally to support builds at system manufacturers
- Experience driving international OEM/ODM/EMS partners is highly useful
- Experience leading technical teams through product commercialization (NPI) and or technology introduction (NTI)
- Familiarization with consumer product design cycles (EVT, PVT, DVT, and MP)
- Must be a self-starter. We are looking for people who are proactive and can work independently with minimal supervision.
- Competitive salary with equity
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability,
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits program
- Fantastic 401k matching plan
- Paid parental leave
- Generous vacation policy
Location This position is in Santa Clara, CA.
To Apply: Please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arris Composites recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At Arris Composites, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work. We pride ourselves on providing best-in-class solutions to our customers around the world; our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
Arris Composites’ dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in our organization. Diversity is more than a commitment at Arris Composites—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
We maintain a policy of non-discrimination in providing equal employment to all qualified employees and candidates regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, protected veteran’s status, or other legally protected classification in the state or locality in which a person is employed.