CMF Process Engineer (Berkeley, CA)
Location: Berkeley, CA
From a team that has been instrumental in the development of leading 3D printing and advanced manufacturing technologies comes the biggest development yet. At higher strength and lower density than titanium, carbon fiber composites hold the potential to change the world by unlocking novel design architectures that deliver unparalleled performance at lighter weight. Despite this potential, the complexity and cost of designing and manufacturing these materials has limited their use to high-end, niche applications. Arris Composites has solved this problem and some of the top companies in the world have taken notice. New design latitude and improved performance provides competitive advantages for leaders across the industrial and consumer markets. Your view of composites is about to change.
We are seeking a CMF Process Engineer with experience in both cosmetic and high strength, high performance components. You will own product integrity, cosmetic appearance and lead an experienced team of engineers including material, design, process, and tooling. When it comes to quality, you have a keen eye for detail and are meticulous with extremely high standards. If issues or problems arise, you can quickly come up with a number of potential root causes and narrow down the list based on your intuition and the results at hand.
As our CMF Process Engineer, You Will:
- Align customer expectations and requirements with internal processes/gates in material selection, material impregnation, preforming, molding, and finishing
- Create quality and reliability requirements to meet customer, development needs ● Define test specifications, conditions, and criteria for internal and external deliverables; drive testing in accordance with defined quality and reliability requirements/specs
- Understand and set thresholds on acceptable tolerances through each step of production ● Align with R&D, Engineering, Product, and Operations to establish checkpoints, reviews, and approval conditions
- Manage and track factors of product quality and integrity from R&D to initial customer builds ● Highlight quality/reliability risks and work with Engineering and Production to resolve issues ● Perform root cause analysis to identify primary failure modes for non-conforming products through each step of production
- Be the voice of integrity and quality to prevent non-conforming products from leaving the building and ensure all key stakeholders are aware of potential risks with each product build
You Will Ideally Bring:
- 5+ years experienced in troubleshooting process issues with surface finish and high strength/performance/volume components
- Expert in CMF specifically dealing with molded thermoplastics (bonus if you have experience with composites too)
- Experience characterizing surface finish quality and uniformity
- Experience in surface finishing techniques such as coating and painting
- Meticulous and have extremely high standards and problem solving skills
- BS Engineering (Mechanical, Materials, or Quality), MS/PhD preferred
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Development or Manufacturing of consumer electronic products/components
- Experience working with a CRM software (e.g. Hubspot or SalesForce)
- Experience working with Computer Aided Design (i.e. Solidworks) and familiarity with Finite Element Analysis tools
- Strong background in designing parts for injection molding and/or compression molding manufacturing
- Strong project management skills; you will orchestrate and prioritize projects across this team to continually drive the highest possible quality
- Competitive salary with equity
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA) ● Paid parental leave
- Generous vacation policy
- Fantastic 401k matching plan
- Pre-tax commuter benefits program
- Healthy snacks, sparkling water, extremely addictive peanut butter pretzels
This position is in Berkeley, CA. It’s within walking distance to Amtrak, ~1.5 miles from BART, and ~ 1 mile from the Marina Ferry (direct from SF Ferry Building)
To Apply: Please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arris Composites recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At Arris Composites, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work. We pride ourselves on providing best-in-class solutions to our customers
around the world; our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
Arris Composites’ dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in our organization. Diversity is more than a commitment at Arris Composites—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us dif erent.
We maintain a policy of non-discrimination in providing equal employment to all qualified employees and candidates regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, protected veteran’s status, or other legally protected classification in the state or locality in which a person is employed.