Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: Berkeley, CA
From a team that has been instrumental in the development of leading 3D printing and advanced manufacturing technologies comes the biggest development yet. At higher strength and lower density than titanium, carbon fiber composites hold the potential to change the world by unlocking novel design architectures that deliver unparalleled performance at lighter weights. Despite this potential, the complexity and cost of designing and manufacturing these anisotropic materials has limited their use to high-end, niche applications. Arris Composites has solved this problem and some of the top companies in the world have taken notice. New design latitude and improved performance provides competitive advantages for leaders across the industrial and consumer markets. Your view of composites is about to change.
Arris Composites is seeking an experienced senior mechanical designer/engineer with five or more years of experience with mechanical design for production manufacturing and automation. You are a problem solver with a knack for 3D thinking, experience building working mechanical devices, a deep intuitive sense of Newtonian physics, and a desire for elegance. You should be experienced in developing, prototyping and improving your designs in close collaboration with a skilled team.
As our Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, You Will:
- Design, build, and test state-of-the-art automation equipment for novel composite processing methods with a focus on reliability and repeatability
- Perform thorough analysis and validation of mechanical designs, leveraging both hands-on problem solving and thoughtful engineering practices
- Lead and participate in critical design reviews throughout each design cycle, both for your own designs and the designs of others
- Occasionally roll up your sleeves to support assembly, process validation, and on
the floor problem solving (fabrication / machining experience preferred, but not required)
- Work collaboratively with technical and non-technical team members to achieve shared goals
- Estimate technical risk and time to complete tasks
- Draft engineering drawings for manufacturing
You Will Ideally Bring:
- Minimum MS in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years experience in 3D CAD development (Solidworks preferred) ● 5+ years experience designing & building machine / automation equipment ● Exposure / experience in high volume production environments ● Exposure to composites and a solid foundation in materials
- Great mechanical design and solid hands-on prototyping chops ● Excellent CAD skills including complex assemblies, tolerancing, drawings, BOMs (Solidworks preferred)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- You have vision and can respectfully disagree when you see things differently than others. But you also can recognize when your concept isn’t the one that we’re moving forward with, and you can get 100 percent behind the new direction
- Significant experience in engineering documentation (drafting PFMEAs, machine specifications, FAT/SAT documentation, etc.)
- Competitive salary with equity
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability, Health Savings Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits program
- Fantastic 401k matching plan
- Paid parental leave
- Generous vacation policy
- Healthy snacks, sparkling water, extremely addictive peanut butter pretzels
This position is in Berkeley, CA. It’s within walking distance to Amtrak, ~1.5 miles from BART, and ~ 1 mile from the Marina Ferry (direct from SF Ferry Building)
To Apply: Please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Arris Composites recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At Arris Composites, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work. We pride ourselves on providing best-in-class solutions to our customers around the world; our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
Arris Composites’ dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in our organization. Diversity is more than a commitment at Arris Composites—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
We maintain a policy of non-discrimination in providing equal employment to all qualified employees and candidates regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, protected veteran’s status, or other legally protected classification in the state or locality in which a person is employed.