Sr. R&D Mechanical Engineer – Systems (Berkeley, CA)
Arris Composites is seeking an experienced mechanical designer/engineer with five or more years of experience designing complex manufacturing equipment preferably involving composite materials. You are a problem solver with a knack for 3D thinking, experience building advanced systems, and a desire for simplicity and elegance. You should be experienced in developing, prototyping and improving your designs in close collaboration with a skilled R&D team.
From a team that has been instrumental in the development of leading 3D printing and advanced manufacturing technologies comes the biggest development yet. At higher strength and lower density than titanium, carbon fiber composites hold the potential to change the world by unlocking novel design architectures that deliver unparalleled performance at lighter weights. Despite this potential, the complexity and cost of designing and manufacturing these anisotropic materials has limited their use to high-end, niche applications. Arris Composites has solved this problem and some of the top companies in the world have taken notice. New design latitude and improved performance provides competitive advantages for leaders across the industrial and consumer markets. Your view of composites is about to change.
As Our Sr. R&D Mechanical Engineer, You Will:
- Design and prototype machines and systems with novel composite process methods
- Improve current methods and systems by designing more efficient, more effective machines
- Hands-on prototyping, fabrication, and testing of new systems and processes working closely with the process R&D lead
- Refine mechanical systems to meet specifications with high levels of repeatability and reliability
- Work collaboratively with technical and non-technical team members to achieve shared goals
- Estimate technical risk and time to complete tasks
- Work with a multidisciplinary team in a dynamic work environment You Will Ideally Bring:
- Minimum MS in mechanical engineering or related degree
- 5+ years experience designing novel mechanical systems/equipment ● Great mechanical design chops
- CAD skills including assemblies, simulation and FEA. Solidworks preferred. ● Excellent attention to detail
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- You have vision and can respectfully disagree when you see things differently than others. But you also can recognize when your concept isn’t the one that we’re moving forward with, and you can get 100 percent behind the new direction.
- Great references.
- Competitive salary with equity
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability ● Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits program
- Fantastic 401k matching plan
- Paid parental leave
- Generous vacation policy
- Healthy snacks, sparkling water, extremely addictive peanut butter pretzels
- Submit a short cover letter showing us that you have read this ad and are responding to our needs
- Attach your resume and cover letter in .pdf format
This position is in Berkeley, CA. It’s within walking distance to Amtrak, ~1.5 miles from BART, and ~ 1 mile from the Marina Ferry (direct from SF Ferry Building)
Arris Composites recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At Arris Composites, we have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and do their best work. We pride ourselves on providing best-in-class solutions to our customers around the world; our company runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
Arris Composites’ dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in our organization. Diversity is more than a commitment at Arris Composites—it is the foundation of what we do. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
We maintain a policy of non-discrimination in providing equal employment to all qualified employees and candidates regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, protected veteran’s status, or other legally protected classification in the state or locality in which a person is employed.